I’ve been putting together a list of resources for those who want to support electing more Democrats in the 2024 election. If you’d like to contribute or if you have any suggestions, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also access this as a Notion page here.
- Political news and information
- News sources
- Supporting high-quality investigative journalism
- Helping me make sense of what’s going on
- Where to donate
- 501(c)(3) Non-profits where your donations are tax-deductible
- Where to volunteer?
Political news and information
A $ indicates I pay.
- Political Wire, by Taegan Goddard. It’s a ticker tape of the most important and the most underrated political stories by one of the OG DC political figures. And they have a Slack! https://politicalwire.com/ $
- Talking Points Memo. News and opinions from a mainstream liberal perspective. https://talkingpointsmemo.com/ $
- Heated. Climate coverage. https://heated.world/ $
- Public Notice. News, politics, and media coverage. https://www.publicnotice.co/
- New York Times. Washington Post. Because for all my complaints they have the best reporting. $
- The Boston Globe. Support your local paper. Because nobody else will. $
- The American Prospect. OG leftist journalism. https://prospect.org/ $
Supporting high-quality investigative journalism
- Popular Information, by Judd Legum. Crowd-funded investigative journalism. https://popular.info/ $
- The Informant, by Nick Martin. Original reporting on hate and extremism. https://www.informant.news/ $
- Boondoggle, by Pat Garofalo. Covers the giveaway of public resources for private gain. https://boondoggle.substack.com/ $
- Big, by Matt Stoller. Coverage of monopolies and monopoly power. https://www.thebignewsletter.com/ $
- McClatchy DC. So much of the best journalism in red states is done by a McClatchy paper. Subscribing to their DC service supports all those papers. https://www.mcclatchydc.com/ $
- ProPublica. Nonprofit investigative journalism. https://www.propublica.org/ $
Helping me make sense of what’s going on
- Letters from an American, by Heather Cox Richardson. Yesterday’s news contextualized by a professor of American history. https://heathercoxrichardson.substack.com/
- Noahpinion. Normcore economics, policy, and politics. https://www.noahpinion.blog/ $
- Elliott’s Notebook, by G. Elliott Morris. Data-driven writing on polls, politics, and public opinion from one of the experts. https://gelliottmorris.substack.com/ $
- The American Prospect. Classic lefty journalism and muckraking. https://prospect.org/ $
- The Atlantic. Classic abolitionist magazine and long-form journalism. https://www.theatlantic.com/ $
- The New Yorker. Highbrow long-form journalism.
- Public Notice. Aaron Rupar is that dude you see on Twitter breaking down Trump's (and other’s) speeches, etc., with video snippets and context. Covers News, politics, and media, https://www.publicnotice.co/
Where to donate
These are “hard money” donations to politicians, which are highly regulated and not tax deductible. And fair warning: once you donate to one candidate, your contact information will be shared with many, many, many campaigns.
- Oath is my new favorite place to donate. They estimate the marginal impact of your relatively small donation to recommend where you donate. And they protect you from the poitical fundraising spam so many of us hate. https://oath.vote
501(c)(3) Non-profits where your donations are tax-deductible
My running list of places that can effectively use your charitable donations (spend that DAF!) to preserve American democracy. Which is arguably the most important issue in the 2024 election.
- Campaign Legal Center fights for voting rights. EIN: 04-3608387 https://campaignlegal.org/
- Democracy NC fights for voting rights in North Carolina, a swing state. EIN: 56-2271150 https://democracync.org/
- Spread the Vote helps individuals get the IDs necessary to vote. EIN: 81-5308494 https://www.spreadthevote.org/
- The Protect Democracy Project provides research, public education, and litigation to protect US democracy. It is the (c)(4) partner of United to Protect Democracy, which also does advocacy work. EIN: 81-4777062 https://protectdemocracyproject.org/
- VoteRiders helps eligible voters get the government ID they need to vote. EIN: 45-5081831 https://www.voteriders.org/
- Vote Forward organizes the sending of handwritten notes to low-propensity voters. EIN: 47-3681860 (via Hopewell - include “Vote Forward Education Fund” in the memo line) https://votefwd.org/
Where to volunteer?
- Tech for Campaigns. https://www.techforcampaigns.org/
- Mobilize is a clearinghouse for progressive and Democratic volunteering. https://www.mobilize.us/
- Swing Left has its own events. https://swingleft.org/events.
- The Democratic Party organizes events. https://events.democrats.org/
- Joe Biden’s Campaign is collecting contact information for future volunteer and GOTV activities. https://joebiden.com/
- Climate Changemakers provides weekly action plans, events, a community, and much more. https://www.climatechangemakers.org/